Chicken Tikka Masala
basmati rice, naan bread & cucumber yogurt salad
"This classic Indian dish features cubes of tandoori spice marinated chicken that has been half cooked in an oven, or tandoor, then further finished in a creamy, mildly spicy, tomato-based curry flavored sauce.”
“Many people think “Tandoori” refers to a recipe, but it is actually a method of cooking. While a tandoori can be used to prepare bread, it is more commonly used for preparing marinated meats or vegetables. The marinade should contain an acidic ingredient such as vinegar or wine; an oil such as olive or canola; and seasonings, such as herbs and spices. In Tandoori margination, meats are coated in a flavorful tandoori paste which contains ginger garlic, spices, and yogurt.
In Your Bag
ONE BAG SERVES 2 ( 2 BAGS SERVES 4 )
- Chefs Tikka Masala Sauce
- Chicken Cubes (Marinated)
- Basmati Rice
- Sour Cream
- Plain Yogurt
- Tandoori Marinade
- Naan (2 count)
- Hot Kashmiri Chili Powder
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- Salt & Pepper
- Spice Blend
- Unsalted Butter
- Cumin Infused Oil
- Heavy Cream
Cook the Basmati Rice
- Rinse the Basmati Rice thoroughly with water & leave it soaked for
- Boil 2 cups of water on high. Use standard water to rice ratio
(2: 1 water: rice)
- Strain the soaked Basmati Rice and add it to the boiling water carefully.
- Add Salt to taste and a splash of oil.
- Cook 7- 8 minutes or until the water has been absorbed.
- Cover and turn off the heat. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
Prep the Main
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl mix the Sour Cream, a tablespoon of Yogurt and the Tandoori Paste with the pre-marinated Chicken Cubes.
- Arrange the Marinated Chicken Cubes on a baking tray and grill
for 5 minutes.
(OPTIONAL) - If you don't like to grill, you can also half cook the Marinated Chicken in a large pan (non-stick, if available), on medium to low heat or until browned on the outside and completely cook it in the sauce.
- Wash and cut Tomatoes for the side.
Cook the Main
- Heat a pan on medium-low and add the Cumin Infused Vegetable Oil.
- Add the fresh Ginger Garlic Paste and saute for a minute until golden.
- Add the Tikka Spice, saute for a minute.
- Now add the Tikka Masala Sauce to the pan and simmer for a minute.
- Add the grilled Chicken to the sauce and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add Heavy Cream
(OPTIONAL) - Season with Hot Kashmiri Chili to increase the spice level.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste and garnish the sauce with the Fenugreek.
- For extra sauce add 1/2 cup of water & simmer for additional 2-3 minutes over medium-low by mixing and stirring it continuously.
Warm the Bread
- Preheat your oven at 350.
- Place the Naan on a baking sheet or directly on the oven rack and heat it for 1-3 minutes.
Make your Side
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced Tomato and Cucumber with the Yogurt.
- Season with Salt and Pepper to taste.
Plate your Dish
- Divide the Basmati Rice, Chicken Tikka Masala and Cucumber Raita between 2 -3 plates. Serve each with warm Naan and Enjoy!